Saturday, November 24, 2007

Haswell, Judith


[Photograph: Jan Kemp (2002)]

Judith Haswell (b. 1946)


Contents

Aotearoa NZ Poetry Sound Archive (2004):

CD16

1. Black bird
2. Girl on a bicycle
3. Showday
4. Hanging over
5. In a vase on my desk
6. The hermit from Beijing
7. Easy does it
8. Violets
9. The lily
10. Dandelion
11. From Finland
12. In a Finnish garden
13. San Miniato al Monte, Florence
14. Starry sky
15. Studying Raphael
16. The visit
17. The Jaguar
18. Image
19. The dew on an apple is easier
20. The portrait
21. Mother Miranda
22. Magpie


Bio / Bibliography:

I was born in Plimmerton, north on the coast up from Wellington, in 1946. I attended various primary schools around the middle of the North Island and went to High School in Papatoetoe. I graduated with a BA from Auckland University, got a Teacher's Diploma and went overseas. I've lived in a few places out of New Zealand; my longest spell was 10 years in Norway. I work as a librarian now and live in Auckland. I've written poetry since I was quite young. Sometimes I draw. I've made books.

Individual poems have appeared in various journals and a couple of anthologies.

Private-press books and publications of my poetry include:

Parade & celebration. Griffin Press, 1983.
Potsherds & geraniums. Donek Press, 1988.
Like a tree. Pear Tree Press, 1993.
Sing, weaving : elements. E. Steiner, 1997.
The world go round. Pear Tree Press, 1997.
Recollect : Italy. E. Steiner, 2000.
Heavenly blue. Poets Group, Christchurch, 2002.

AWARDS

1988, 3rd prize for a short story in the Aoraki Festival / Timaru Herald Short Story Competition.

1991, one of 20 award-winning poems in the Whitireia Community Polytechnic Poetry Competition.

1994, one poem highly commended in the Aoraki Festival Inaugural Poetry Award Competition; one poem shortlisted.

1999, I was chosen as one of 10 award winners from 190 submissions nominated by 39 sites. My poems were submitted by Trout to Riding the Meridian, for 'A Best of Online" poetry competition.

GRANTS

1993, awarded a 'Short Term Study' by the Craft Panel of the QE II Arts Council of NZ to set up a small printery/workshop in my home.

1996, awarded a fellowship in the Stout Research Centre to continue research on Conrad Hansen and his sojourn in NZ during the 1890s. I have translated his story but still have to finish writing it up.

No comments: